Thursday, April 15, 2010

Features of Baidu’s Dictionary

Baidu has a dictionary service, which offer word/phrase translation between Chinese-English and Chinese to English. I use Baidu Dictionary a lot to check my spelling (I have a spelling problem; someone said it is an illness).

In the past if I tried to use the Dictionary I have to type the URL dict.baidu.com, but recently I find out that use word combination can get the Dictionary in the search result directly.

For example if I want to know the English word for “苹果”, I can use the query “苹果 英文”, it is like an operator to get me a dictionary result. With this action, Baidu will earn many online dictionary users if these users don’t care how sucking Baidu Dictionary is!



It is not a single case how Baidu changes / improves its product to fit the users’ searching habit. I use the word combination a lot, so do many other Chinese users, I know how huge the consequence can be.

The following screenshot is to tell us Baidu suggests word combination according to search volume , baidu has another powerful product Baidu Top, it shows the most popular search terms on Baidu.

This can be a good inspiration to all of us. If we pay great attention to the user search habit, we can make some change in Chinese online marketing. Baidu has been trying to SEO its own web pages and insert those pages into the search result, it is not wise to confrontation Baidu using the normal approaches, however, it is a sure good way to use Baidu’s own pages to do the marketing for your own website or business, which will we talk about later.

1 comment:

  1. Its great. This will help a lot to the webmasters to translate chinese to english and english to chinese.

    web designer

    ReplyDelete